The Awesome Combator
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
2012: The AC is permanently closed. If you wish to submit original fiction, we recommend NobleFiction.com.

Site News

Go down 
+3
Nightfaerie
ohlavash
Andy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy
Administrator
Administrator
Andy

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 5:39 am

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

The last time I have been active here was one year ago. Recently the co-administrator of the AC, Commax, and I discussed the possibility of bringing the site back to life since there remained interest in it between past members and new members. The original AC failed to attract a large amount of dedicated writers and readers because of several reasons, most notably the fear of copyright infringement and lack of advertising (as most new members are referrals). For the new AC to succeed, it's imperative that changes take place, besides an obvious graphical upgrade. I would like feedback from the entire community for what you want to see in the new AC. It may be necessary to lessen the focus on stories and fan-fiction and broaden different areas on discussion. Alternatively, we could return to embracing fan-fiction as the major focus of the site.

Your suggestions and opinions are most welcome. Site News Eusa_thi
Back to top Go down
ohlavash
Patrician
Patrician
ohlavash

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 5:58 am

I would love to see new members around the site. I can't really think of anything that we don't have here, perhaps a gallery for a bit more pictures added in and maybe a chatbox? That always gets people interested. It makes it see like its in real time. Another thing that could be cool would be to add in some role-playing, stories created between two or more users. I used to do that on another forum and it was pretty awesome. I think we need a more pop-out layout, if you know what I mean. Something that really catches attention from those visitors so that they want to stop and look. And perhaps the layout should change during holidays for a more festive feel?

Just some suggestions and I know I was like totally throwing that into one huge para. =]
Back to top Go down
ohlavash
Patrician
Patrician
ohlavash

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 6:31 am

Oh, and something I've been thinking about recently. How about making the actual story topics private to guests? This would keep the stealing and plagarism to a minimum.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Administrator
Administrator
Andy

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 10:31 am

This (July 4 2009) is an older theme that I just put back together temporarily.

Here are some new features:

-Added a "Reputation" system. You should see a + and - next to text now, each member can give or take away from another member's reputation with each post they make. Generally you should add rep on a post that is a good contribution to the forum, and subtract rep on a post that adds nothing to a topic. If this system gets abused, I will take away the ability to subtract reputation points.

-Profiles have been upgraded in several ways. More options such as "Things I Like", "Things I Dislike" and "Myspace" have been added. One new feature is the ability to add other members as friends on your profile. These are sent as requests to the user that must be approved before he/she is listed as your friend in your profile. You may also add "foes", in which you can choose to ignore a user's posts and block them from sending you a private message. Members can also now post messages directly to another member's profile.

-"WYSIWYG" is now enabled. This is an acronym meaning "What you see is what you get". It is a text editor that allows you to format your post without needing to type bbcode. This editor can be toggled on or off when posting a message.

-If you find yourself needing to quote more than one post in your replies, the new "Multi-Quote" feature will make things easier for you. Simply click "Multi-Quote" on each message you need to quote in your reply, and the quotes will be waiting for you in your message.

Still much work to be done.. keep up the ideas!
Back to top Go down
Nightfaerie
Neophyte
Neophyte
Nightfaerie

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 11:41 pm

I know I am a new member, but I just wanted to say a few things. First of all, I don’t think halting new sub-forums is a way to entice new membership. I myself am a new member, and while I like reading other author’s work, the appealing aspect of this site was being able to post some of my stuff for criticism. Without a sub-forum, I don’t feel comfortable posting my novel. Also, I read that you were brainstorming focusing more on fan-fiction. Not to offend, but there are already sites that are completely dedicated to fan-fiction, and while it is good to have a topic for it, the whole site shouldn’t revolve around it. I like the original aspect of this forum. Again, I am not trying to be rude or condescending at all, just trying to share my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Administrator
Administrator
Andy

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks for signing up! I am in agreement with you, I prefer that we keep focus on original stories rather than fan-fiction, I wanted to gauge the opinion of the members on that.

New forum requests are only suspended temporarily until I decide if I want to handle them the same way. I have some requests already in my inbox that I am adding to the site at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Commax
Administrator
Administrator

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:39 pm

I think there should be a Commax tribute page.
Back to top Go down
ohlavash
Patrician
Patrician
ohlavash

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 5:28 am

...am I allowed to agree with Commax? xD I mean, he IS uber awesome.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Administrator
Administrator
Andy

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 4:06 am

ohlavash wrote:
Oh, and something I've been thinking about recently. How about making the actual story topics private to guests? This would keep the stealing and plagarism to a minimum.

I will do this for anyone that requests it, but I don't think it would
be best to hide stories by default, I could only imagine a guest
wandering in here thinking that nobody writes anything. Then again, I
can just write that "Guests must register to view stories" Site News Row_196 I'll leave that one up to you guys.

Commax wrote:
I think there should be a Commax tribute page.

Nobody else wants to see that!

ohlavash wrote:
...am I allowed to agree with Commax? xD I mean, he IS uber awesome.

Site News Row_471
Back to top Go down
Son Gohan
Illustrious
Illustrious

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 6:30 am

I find with people copy it and post it somewhere as long they don't claim the story is their.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Administrator
Administrator
Andy

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:40 am

July 15 - Created more graphics for the site and updated announcements. Also, removed some stories of mine from the site that I hadn't begun, so I can focus on "Nova Genesis" and complete "T-Bot"!

If you read a story on the AC that you like and you can't think of a comment to write, add to their rep by clicking the "+" sign on the side of the page ->
Back to top Go down
Andy
Administrator
Administrator
Andy

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:34 pm

July 22nd - A few of the discussion forums have been separated, and we have a new genre for those that write blogs or articles. In addition, the "Comedy" genre is now an option if you are writing an original story that is a pure comedic work. Sub-Forums are now optional for "Blogs & Articles" and "Songs & Poetry" upon request.

Also, Administrator Commax is celebrating his 73rd birthday today. He is doing well and still not in prison.
Back to top Go down
Ty Jensen
Neophyte
Neophyte
Ty Jensen

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Nova Triangle   Site News Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:27 am

Why have you cancelled Nova Triangle? Let me guess: lack of ideas?
Back to top Go down
Reach
Seasoned
Seasoned

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:29 pm

What happened?! Its dead again. I'm sad. Site News Eusa_boo
Back to top Go down
Andy
Administrator
Administrator
Andy

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Reach wrote:
What happened?! Its dead again. I'm sad. Site News Eusa_boo

Yeah, sorry. We just can't manage to hold on to regulars apparently.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Site News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site News   Site News Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Site News
Page 1 of 1